Get Hattie's Retroage Letter FREE

Get Hattie's Exclusive RetroAge Letter FREE and Get Hattie's Personal Tips For Living Young, Getting Young and Feeling Young... No Matter YOUR age!


Name
Email

Thursday, August 7, 2008

CHANGING NEGATIVE ATTITUDES ABOUT AGING

Attitude is a very powerful tool in controlling our lives. If we are in the habit of creating frightening images for the future, it will not only be depressing, it might even determine how our lives will turn out.

Now, I want to encourage and assure you that even though you may dread the aging process, and are certain it will turn you into a hopeless hag, this attitude can be changed. In fact, it MUST be changed.

But first, you must want that, and want it passionately

I will share with you that I was terrified that aging would take away all the things that I have loved doing all my life. I was afraid that I would be too old to go dancing, to date, or to have sex. I wondered what would happen to my looks. Would I become saggy, fat and unappealing? These doubts haunted me day and night.

But the good part of it is that instead of my fears holding me back, they actually inspired me to take action. I combed books, took classes, ordered exercise equipment, hired a massage therapist, a trainer... you name it, I tried it.

Now in my seventies, I am remarkably fit. I swim and exercise regularly, eat nutritious, organic food, and, most important, keep my spirits lifted by maintaining a positive attitude.

You can have this too. It’s a matter of focus, and determination.

Don’t give up on your body and spirit and they won’t give up on you!

CHANGING NEGATIVE ATTITUDES ABOUT AGING

  • Don’t expect your attitudes toward aging – and yourself – to change overnight.
  • Don’t allow backslides to discourage you. Backslides are to be expected. Keep working in the face of them.
  • Don’t think you are too old for really dramatic changes.
  • Consider that what you think about aging is based on your past history, and the past history of humanity (in our culture). It may be entirely off the mark and ready for major revision – culturally and personally.
  • Be ready to give up old concepts, habits and possessions.
  • Last, but not least, be prepared to get depressed, disgusted, and discouraged! Remember that the first step to transformation is discontent and disgust with what already exists. I call this “Creative Self-Disgust”.

No comments: